Saturday, May 08, 2004

Wanna go back to basics? Just do it!

Out shopping yesterday, a last minute detour to a Nike store left me sixteen thousand cents poorer. Making this my eighth pair of running shoes in four years, I walked out with a pair of Air Max Obstacles.

Lacing them on and taking them out for a spin earlier this evening, I found my feet asking me where the bounce had gone. This wasn't unexpected of course, it was just that they needed the 'reminder' of a cushioned ride as opposed to a springy one.

My last two pairs had been purchased from the Nike Shox family. I had switched over to them from my usual Air Max staple as a curiosity killer. Being a runner for more than a decade, I owed it to myself to try these revolutionary looking things, if not to seperate factual performance from gimmick.

For those familier with the Shox concept, energy absorbed from each stride is returned to give a boost to your next. Trying them on the first time, the difference was not intangible. I felt like I was running on spring boards, with each step a little easier and more spritely.

However the first pair had room for improvement. They didn't quite give me the hold and stability I needed when turning fast corners. My feet had the tendency to shift out slightly even after a snug lace-up. It didn't help that the upper shell of the shoe was somewhat stiff and unwieldly. It was as if my shoes had a mind of their own and occasionally went their own 'way'.

My second pair seven months later addressed these issues neatly. This one came with an overlay slip that gripped my feet like a sock. It was flexible enough that no matter how my feet angled or how tight a corner I turned, my shoes kept pace with them neatly. The improved traction provided excellent handling on both dry and wet roads. For as long as they lasted, it was their spritely feel that made my runs so enjoyable.

So now that I've come back to the Air Max family, the Obstacles took a little of getting used to. I found that the cushioning had been hardened. Though it felt like stepping on a sack of flour, they gave no feedback at all and it took just a little more effort getting into my next stride. Thankfully, the Obstacles came with the overlay slip and my corner turns were just as tight as ever. Though they didn't grip the road as well as the Shox, the Obstacles handled just about anything I threw them through.

If I had to decide, I would choose the Shox any day. Running up and down hills at my estate, I love the added lift in my stride. However the Shox were not as durable and their superb handling diminished quicker than the Air Max. There's no doubt I will run my current Obstacles into the ground before shopping for a replacement. October isn't that far away. And it'll be good to have that spritely and familiar bounce once again.

Postscript wise, I've decided to delegate my Obstacles for gym use. Simply because they are cross-trainers and their purpose was most obviously lost on this idiot! How could I have made such a mistake, I wonder? The reason is that I was not paying attention when I bought them. Well enough of that and on with the strides . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home