Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Hello? Is anyone out there?

Well this should have occured to me much earlier. When I look back at all those wasted CPU processor cycles, I'm determined to never shutting down my PC at work again.

First, I've read and known about the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence at Home (SETI @ Home) project ever since it was initated. This is a global project utilizing internet-enabled personal computers to analyze radio telescope data gleaned from the heavens.

Second, I've had an account with SETI since October 2000. However this e-mail address has since been terminated. For what little work has been done, I am hoping that I can consolidate this account with my new one. I have written to SETI to see if there may be some way. I am hopeful.

Third, my PC at the office has been cranking out data units for the past two days. I admit that it's not much when compared to this guy. But after souping it up with 512MB of RAM, my Dell has the memory resources to crank data sets all day and night for the greater interest of humankind.

Working for an organization that deals with Biology and the Life Sciences, it may be ironic that I'm contributing to an initiative that is outwardly terrestrial. And some of my academics would argue that the search for life 'out there' should first begin with the study and understanding of life 'around here'.

However I am taking an interest in something which may or may not be accomplished in my lifetime, given my belief that we are not the only sentient lifeforms in the universe. And should we meet them one day, far from making me question my faith in my Creator, I would be interested to know how they came to be.

With similiar global-linked projects like Folding @ Home, SETI's outward exploration still grabs my imagination. With national budgets swinging away from less tangible ventures towards economically viable ones, this is my contribution to help search for something greater than myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home