Friday, May 14, 2004

It's coming in and over...

Today concludes one of the slowest weeks I've had in a while. After returning from a trip mid last week, my boss promptly skipped town again for another, leaving my deputies to run the show. But for what little there is, there hasn’t been much going on and we've been left to fend for ourselves like horses.

In itself, that should have been a good thing. There was time for me to read and think about what to write next. With so little hours in a day, nothing beats artificially changing your job scope every once in a while. However I've been uninspired and distracted. More likely due to too many late nights and the general lathagia that has decended.

The weather has been hot and muggy. And this is one of those weeks where you thank the god of air-conditioning for saving you from a slow and sweaty death. Some of my colleagues, who have playfully chided on me in the past for lowering the temperature, have taken the initiative by lowering it themselves.

So things have been slow. Even people walk and talk slow these days. A colleague, also in the doldrums, offered a jovial observation that it was as if someone had switching the coffee with de-caf. The weekdays have taken on that weekend feeling. And with that, I should have left on a holiday myself. Unfortunately with the university's Special Term running, I would have to start making preparations for exams and marking pretty soon. This job is all about timing. Given that I am required to be on hand for most of the semester, my only time-outs are in between them.

As a result, I've had to turn down requests from my friends to visit them abroad, whose holiday schedules never seem to sync with mine. One such friend, who had concluded another brief visit to Singapore a couple of months ago, has insisted that I visit her in New York come July. While I had originally schduled on relocating back to Melbourne in the middle of the year, planning a holiday after that would not only have been more convenient, it would have been the relaxing thing to do. I would have had all the time in the world to see my friends in a Los Angeles-Denver-New York hop. However my exit plan has changed somewhat and two of them would have to wait.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, 16 May, 2004, Blogger Sivasothi said...

Hey slacker, whet you need is some more work; and I don't mean dept lunches. I am brimming with projects and suggestions, so let's talk about it over lunch one of these days. And heat is just in the mind, dude...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home