Sunday, April 09, 2006

Before my Eyes

"I just met your twin sister over the weekend." said I to J.

Coming out of two whole days of ball-tossing by fourteen tough-guys at the Singapore Sevens, this is a curved-ball of a surprise.

The likeness was uncanny. Almost an exact match given the coincidence of bumping into someone from your past. After introducing myself, M flashed a quick smile as she tried digesting the news. Alcohol slows down much of the thought process but I was patient. M had thought the reason for me staring at her was because of her loud-mouthed cheering for the team in play.

M was born in Tasmania before moving to Sydney. J was born in Sydney before moving down to Melbourne. Even without the background history-check and get-to-know-yous, this was not one of those twins-separated-at-birth discoveries.

Over the phone, J began painting a teasing scenerio of the places we'd go and the things we'd do once we got there. J always had a imaginative and naughty mind.

It was all very familiar and for a moment it sounded as if J and I are dating all over again. A second chance to choose differenently or a reminiscence of sorts, I wasn't really sure. Does it matter?

And speaking of M, that was provided that she was planning on staying a while and not flying out that Sunday evening. I couldn't help but slip in a word about what I thought about M. Then again, I've never been one to mince words with a woman I fancied.

More smiles, more what-was-J-like, more laughter, more spilled beer, more everything. In the end after a hug and a kiss, I packed her off to her companions before rejoining mine at the end of the day.

As the laughter died down, J asked if we could have chosen differently. For J, moving to London was one of the best things she had ever done. So there was no need for us to second guess.

"Am I still your favorite," asked I. "Still am," said she.

That was enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home