Sunday, December 05, 2004

Run for your Life: The Marathon Man Part 2

So what's next after the Kenyans left everyone, including Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, in the dust?

First. Food and drink. After plonking down seventy bucks for registration, training the last five months and waking up before dawn to run forty-two kilometers on a lazy Sunday morning, is just the typical excuse for everyone to stuff themselves silly.

One hour ago however, food was the last thing on my mind. Plodding past the National Stadium, I wondered if this was all going to end. Maps are certainly deceiving but heading out at sixty percent capacity was a good move. I was experiencing no hint of fatigue and my breathing was effortless. That breakfast of oatmeal and cheese sandwiches, washed down with hot milky tea, certainly helped.

Somewhere along East Coast Park, I made a stop at a water point to rest my aching back. It was opportune as I caught that refreshing second wind, which in turn amplified my determination to finish after I made the U-turn. However it wasn't until the Esplanade that I picked up my pace. The exhiliration of finishing yet another marathon by running past the post, dulled my aching back.

Coming in at a three hours, twelve minutes twenty nine, I certainly took my time about it. Any faster and I would have had made it into the top twenty. The crowds were marvelous as they cheered us on. But the primary motivator is that I was running for my own well being. If I can do it, I don't really care for those who can't. Out of a population of four million, it certainly felt great to be one of the four thousand marathoners this morning.

Second. There will be the Singapore to Kuala Lumpur cycling run next June. I've got to talk to Otterman about that. A group of NUS bikers are already training for it. Once that is over, there will be another round of marathons in Melbourne and Singapore come October and December.

Third. Getting back on the cycling and gym regimen. After spending a bundle on timepieces the past two months, plans on buying my own bike have been put on hold. I can almost hear Otterman laughing as I type this. The gym bike and my dad's, whenever it's available, will have to do for now. Gym will be beneficial as I've thinned out again from all that running.

Forth. Taking that long and leisurely bus ride home for a cool shower. The entire journey from Empress Place to Sunset was a quiet one. Though there were a few couples on for the ride, they were content to be lost in their own thoughts. Some even dozed off along the way. Perhaps the physical exersion from the run was too much? Whatever. Seeing my cats snoozing as I walked in, its obvious they had it all figured out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home