Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Audiophile Paradise, Part 1

Straight out the box, I understood what Mikhail, my audio dealer, had told me to expect when I plugged the new power cord into my headphone amplifier.

Given that the PS Audio xStream Preludes cost a fifth of my headphone and headphone amplifier combo, it isn't unreasonable to wring every ounce of musical detail from my sound system.

Long is the road.

Compared to my old Ensemble powercord, the Preludes transformed the sound stage. There was plenty of mid-range warmth while the vocals were given a full bodied presentation. The low end carried more weight and heft. There was also lower electrical noise, a common malady afflicting all audio systems, resulting in cleaner sound.

Though the new powercord has yet to burn in, I could tell that the top end was closed off and restricted. My previous Ensembles had more air at the top end and threw up more detail in the highs frequencies. The vibrating vocal cords in Loreena McKennitt's voice seemed less pronounced now.

Considering the kind of sound I wanted, Mikhail suggested changing the interconnects between my headphone amplifier and CD player as well. If I'm going to keep the Preludes, he concluded, then my current Cardas Cross interconnects will have to go.

I'll be seeing him again this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home