Sunday, April 15, 2007

Audiophile Paradise, Part 2

This is the best part!

Mikhail was kind enough to lend me a pair of ven den Hul Mainstream MkIIIs for comparison. Contrast with the PS Audio Preludes, which darken the sound and close up the top end, I'm curious to hear just how the Mainstreams will improve things.

On loan for the road to paradise.

In addition, I ditched my Cardas Cross interconnects and replaced them with the highly acclaimed van den Hul Orchids. The Orchids have been praised for being fast, detailed and airy.

But narrow is the way.

So the van den Huls were left to burn in since yesterday evening. However with the rated minimum of three hundred hours burn-in time, things will only get better as long as I like what I'm hearing.

Following a refreshing shower after MacRitchie with Otterman, Debbie and company, I settled down to a listen. Mark Knopfler was given the honor of opening the proceedings. His recordings are commonly used by audiophiles to demonstrate the sonic prowess of their sound systems.

What a transformation! Amid the warm mid range and hefty lows, the top end frequencies are now restored and are as light and open as the heavens. Mark's voice is presented in all their full throated and raspy glory. Every rattle of his larynx and pursing of his lips are more pronounced than ever. Soundstaging is much tigher too. It is as if a veil has been lifted, revealing the full sonic picture behind it.

Timber quality is spot on and tonal control is much better. There is practically no over hang when the bass line changes. The van den Huls have got that kind of control to keep the music taunt and fast, keeping the low frequencies in check from becoming a muddy mess.

If this is what I'm receiving from an audiophile show-piece recording, I'm sure the van den Huls will sound edgy when playing back brightly recorded music. These recordings tend to emphasize the high frequencies and result in a case of exacerbated listening fatigue.

Now the PS Audio Preludes may be employed, in this case, to take that bright edge off. This will no doubt come at the sacrifice of some musical detail.

So what kind of sound do I want? With a whole genre of music to listen to, I'll be putting the these two power cables to the test before I decide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home