Friday, June 01, 2007

Snow White spinning Beach Balls

After more than a decade, a day was all it took to transition me from yesterday's landfill to tomorrow's inevitable landfill. My trusty Dual 1.25GHz G4 MDD had been sold. This cleared the way forward to Apple's Intel platform.

As I unpacked my 20" iMac from its box, I mused at one of the computing industry's short-lived comedies, the G5. Apple had been goading IBM to flog the living lights out of the PowerPC 970 platform, to deliver that illusive 3GHz G5 to its loyal users.

However there was no time to waste. My iMac had been sighted on Apple Singapore's refurbished offerings. A couple of clicks and a day later...

Is that a mouse in your pocket? Or are you happy to see me?

Being a refurbished product, I was prepared to accept cosmetic imperfections like dents and scratches. However Snow White smelled brand new out of the box. Even the coating of the LCD screen was free of any blemishes.

Ain't she sexy?

Putting Snow White through the usual initiation of a clean OS and application installation, my initial reaction was that the process went smoothly and fast. And so it should be, given that everything is faster. There are no spinning beach balls.

CoconutID told me that Snow White was assembled in March this year. Looking at the 'DOA' sticker on the box, I wondered what may have been the problem with this machine. Was it the logic board, power supply or LCD screen?

A Great Leap Forward?

Refurbished hardware would have had to suffer a significant malfunction, prompting Apple to perform an immediate unit exchange with the buyer. Thus this marks a paradigm shift in the way I view computers.

In all my previous purchases of Macintosh hardware, I was an advocate of super expandable desktops. Partly due to the promise of the advancement in technology, bits could be added and portions could be changed later to extend the life after the initial expense. The other consideration was the fact that Apple had always been slow to adopt the latest technologies in the computing world.

All that changed with Apple's transition to Intel. Now the future of Apple's hardware is more secure and hence, predictable. Tons of information can be had from Intel's website. Once you've gotten the overview of where Intel is headed, you can be sure that Apple will be right in step with them.
No, it wasn't stolen.

However the most significant was the decision to purchase a refurbished Macintosh. I had gathered promising feedback from friends and fellow MacUsers who had gone the similar route. So the extra money saved, has gone into beefing up system memory and purchasing an external hard drive.

As I type this, I can see my father gleefully preparing for his infamous stress tests...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home